Favignana is the largest of the three main Egadi Islands, with a land area of 37 km². The island is often depicted as having a "butterfly" shape. The town of Favignana is located on a narrow isthmus connecting the two "wings", which have quite different characteristics. The eastern half of the island is largely flat, while the western half is dominated by a chain of hills of which Monte Santa Caterina is the tallest at 314 m (1045 ft). It is topped by a fort, originally established by the Saracens and still in use by the Italian military (and closed to the public).
The island is famous for its tuna fisheries and is now a popular tourist destination.